The Interventional Cardiology Division is found on the 3rd floor of the building – block G. The division provides catheter diagnostic procedures and therapy of cardiac and some extracardiac diseases; this means that special thin catheters are inserted in the appropriate heart compartment or another place through the vascular system in order to view and treat the given place.
We provide the full spectrum of catheter cardiac procedures currently available in the Czech Republic. An overview of our activities and results can be found here.
Ischaemic heart disease (IHD) is the most common and serious heart disease responsible for the death of most people in our population. This disease causes gradual narrowing or even obstruction of the coronary arteries that supply nutrition to the heart muscle. An imaging assessment of these arteries – coronarography is therefore the most commonly performed test, and the so-called coronary angioplasty (PCI – percutaneous coronary intervention) is the therapeutic intervention consisting in dilating the arteries if adequate based on the finding.
We routinely also perform other catheter procedures in the extracoronary area (heart septal disorders, heart valvular disorders) and in some extracardiac arteries (carotid arteries and renal arteries).
Virtual tour of the catheterisation theatre
Our division has long-term experience and tradition in the field, further demonstrated by the first selective coronarography performed in 1971 and the first coronary angioplasty in 1981 (both by Prof. Belán) in the then Czechoslovakia. In 1992, angioplasty was performed at our division in the case of an acute myocardial infarction (Dr Želízko), followed by the first comprehensive PCI programme in myocardial infarction in the Czech Republic. Currently, the Czech Republic is at the top of the world tables in this field.
Performed assessments and procedures:
- Angiography of the heart and selective coronarography (SCG)
- Angiography of coronary vessels and stent implantation (PCI, PTCA)
- Angiography and angioplasty of carotid (cervical) arteries
- Angiography and angioplasty of renal (kidney) arteries
- Right heart catheterisation, endomyocardial biopsy (EMB)
- Septal ablation (PTSMA – percutaneous transluminal septal myocardial ablation)
- Closure of atrial septal defects – closure of septal defects
- Percutaneous implantation of the aortic valve (pdf, 200 kB)