Research in the field of experimental hypertension, nephrology, anaesthesiology, atherosclerosis and pathophysiology of metabolism and diabetes; introduction of measurement methods for new biochemical parameters that can be used for monitoring in the research of cardiovascular and other diseases.
Education and preparation of bachelors, diploma students and PhD students.
Pre-graduate teaching. Lectures at the Faculties of Medicine, Charles University in Prague, University of Chemistry and Technology in Prague, Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice, and others.
Postgraduate teaching. Management of the Subdepartment of Cardiovascular and Transplantation Anaesthesiology and Intensive Medicine at the IPVZ (Institute for Postgraduate Medical Education) department.
Laboratory of the Cardiometabolic Research Division (CMRD):
- Laboratory of Experimental Hypertension and Nephrology
- Laboratory of Experimental Anaesthesiology
- Atherosclerosis Research Laboratory
- Laboratory of Diabetes Pathophysiology
- Laboratory of Metabolism Pathophysiology
- The menagerie and operating theatres for laboratory animals
The laboratories are involved in grant projects of their respective fields:
- Laboratory of Experimental Nephrology and Hypertension is focused on renal problems in the development of hypertension and the pathophysiology of renal injury due to hypertension
- Laboratory of Experimental Anaesthesiology is focused on research tasks aimed at evaluating the effect of intramuscular muscle relaxants in acute conditions and the topics of pharmacological “non lethal weapons”
- Atherosclerosis Research Laboratory is particularly engaged in genetic, metabolic and inflammatory risk factors in the process of atherosclerosis; the laboratory conducts studies of external risk factors of cardiovascular diseases and uses experimental animal models for studies focused on the metabolism of triglycerides and reverse transport of HDL cholesterol. Another mission of the laboratory consists in introducing the measurement methods for new biochemical parameters that can be used for monitoring in the research of cardiovascular and other diseases.
- Laboratory of Diabetes Pathology and the Laboratory of Metabolism Pathophysiology are engaged in scientific and research activities focused on the observation of pathophysiological mechanisms of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes including possible ways of exerting a therapeutic effect on these disorders through nutritional and pharmacological interventions. Genetic aspects of insulin resistance and dyslipidemia are also studied.
- The menagerie and operating theatres for laboratory animals serve as service sites for all other laboratories and other divisions of IKEM. In particular, ECM provides specialised technical assistance in experiments in laboratory animals.